Thursday, January 26, 2006

The Future of Algebra II...

Well, the youngin's are all done their exams. Algebra II - as I expected, a class average of approximately a D. This will not happen next term. Many more phone calls to parents - to the point where the parents will (hopefully) start getting the kids to do their work if for no other reason than to keep me from calling.

Also, in the Do Nothing section, only 5 out of 20 kids have an average above 70. I wonder if the poor grades will have any effect on their future performance?

So far as lesson plans go, here's the deal:

  • I am ending Baker's Choice. We have not gone through the whole unit, though next year I would like to. We have covered through systems of inequalities, which is usually as far as level three gets. Tuesday we will have a wrap up and review, and Thursday we will have the test.
  • Next I will briefly cover systems of equations. They covered this ad nauseum in Alg I. I would like to present it as an application - give them a real world situation that they can attempt to solve any way they want, discuss the results, hope it leads us to one of the methods for solving systems of linear equations. The main methods we cover are graphing, substitution, and elimination (aka linear combination). I may cover Cramer's Rule, but then I would have to get into matrices, and I think I'd rather move on to functions.
  • So we will do functions after systems. I am having a little bit of a problem thinking of a way to present the concept of a function in a concrete manner. I like to introduce new concepts with this class by discussing actual concrete things, and so I need to come up with many examples for the kids to fool around with. After that, we'll talk about function notation and why function notation is important and/or useful.
  • Next, I am not certain if I will do quadratic functions or polynomial functions. I think I'd like to start with quadratic and then expand to polynomial. Again, I need to come up with concrete examples and real world applications. I want them to be as adept with quadratic functions as they are with linear. Factoring is going to be the major problem - they simply memorize (which they really aren't very good at) without understanding why. I think I am going to possibly do the quadratic functions unit using algebra tiles. If nothing else, we'll have fun with scissors.
  • I have also noticed, and may have already mentioned it here, that a big block of their misunderstanding things is actually a reading comprehension problem. They do not really understand the mathematical vocabulary, or directions. For example, on the midterm, many students attempted to solve an algebraic expression. Only equations and inequalities can be solved - expressions are simplified. I may do a mini unit on "The Language of Math", or may decide to make it a weekly feature, interspersing it within other units. One idea I have for them is to brainstorm all the mathematical terms they can think of, write them all on the board, define them in their own words, write an example of how they are used, relate them to the "non-math" definitions, make flashcards, etc. I would also like to do a lot more writing assignments - a lot of my students are terrible at expressing their ideas on paper. I believe they will have a much better understanding if they have to clearly write out their thoughts and ideas. I can also better see where the misunderstandings occur with open ended questions.

This is the rough plan -I'll have to see how it goes.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

好秘书 中国呼吸网 肿瘤网 中国皮肤网 癌症康复网 工作总结 个人工作总结 班主任工作总结 年终工作总结 工作报告 政府报告 述职报告 述廉报告 考察报告 情况报告 调研报告 调查报告 申请报告 工作汇报 思想汇报 汇报材料 情况通报 情况汇报 心得体会 学习心得 工作心得 培训心得 读后感 演讲稿 竞聘演讲 就职演讲 演讲技巧 工作意见 活动策划 工作方案 整改方案 实施方案 企划文案 销售方案 应急预案 规章制度 法律法规 事迹材料 先进事迹 个人事迹 申报材料 学习材料 考察材料 经验材料 交流材料 自我鉴定 模板范例 技巧经验 剖析材料 工作计划 民主生活会 入党志愿书 入党申请书 入团申请书 转正申请书 通知 毕业论文 合同 肺癌 肝癌 胃癌 肾癌 食道癌 直肠癌 结肠癌 胰腺癌 卵巢癌 宫颈癌 乳腺癌 子宫癌

8:01 PM  
Anonymous The Tower of AION said...

The Tower of AION


Aion is one of the most anticipated online games in 2009, http://www.rmt-wm.com/ NCsoft absorb of the "World

of Warcraft" game and other forces in the camp set up on the

successfulexperience,designedfor"Asmodians","Elyos"and"Balaur", http://www.rmt-wm.com/ The story centers around

the three to start the war,Players can achieve large-scale "race vs race" . can become a Asmodians or Elyos,

http://www.rmt-wm.com/ while Balaur is the monster and NPC.Aion schedule in Japan.http://www.rmt-

wm.com/games/aion.html the official website of the public April 17, 2009internal testing operators June 5, 2009to

start internal testing June 12, 2009limited public beta staff 6 At the end of 2009public beta June9 2009 .
http://www.rmt-wm.com/games/aion.html

At that time,Rmtwm http://www.rmt-wm.com/ will provide to players aion Virtual game coin,this will reduce

players hard time to fight coin.players through the reality of dollars to buy virtual coin to upgrade their level

of equipment, Rmtwm http://www.rmt-wm.com/ as an operating a virtual coin company,In addition Aion rmt

http://www.rmt-wm.com/games/aion.html we are also operate on dozens of Frequently games.
http://www.rmt-wm.com/games/aion.html Low prices and convenient service,players can purchase peace of mind.

http://www.rmt-wm.com/games/aion.html

11:18 PM  
Anonymous nisha said...

I really appreciate the kind of topics you post here. Thanks for sharing us a great information that is actually helpful. Good day!
mba india

10:23 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home