Monday, January 02, 2006

Procrastination is my Specialty

So I am trying to instill good study habits in my young charges...refusing, absolutely refusing to accept late homework, taking points off if they take too long to do make ups, and other such things.

It is 1:02 am. I have had over two weeks off, and yet I am still up correcting all the work that should have already been corrected weeks ago. I even found some things from October that I failed to return to the kids. I give myself an F for timely assessment, and an A for hypocrisy.

I also just spent about 20 minutes blog-surfing. It is in fact (sort of) relevant....a lot of what I have learned about teaching I have learned from blogs. (When I grow up I want to be Ms. Frizzle....) But, still....I am basically procrastinating on going to bed. The first step is admitting you have a problem.

Maybe we'll have a snow day tomorrow....

Lessons Learned

In all my last minute correcting, I have come up with one observation: instead of collecting or checking that the students have done the homework, I think I will begin giving more homework quizzes. Basically, we'd quickly go over the homework as a class, then I will give a mini, 3 point quiz on the basic concepts. (Regular quizzes are usually 20 -30 points, tests are 100)Advantages to this method:

  • better and faster assessment of what the kids get, and who is falling behind. Better feedback for me and the kids as a result
  • quicker to grade. Homework quizzes are usually only three questions, all right or all wrong

OK, I guess that's all the advantages I can think of at 1 am, but they're pretty darn big ones.

Good night.

Er,...actually....good morning.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home